Birthday / Wake Party, Siena, Tacky Beer Barn, Wine-Tasting and Uffizi
I had quite a weekend (starting Wednesday).
Wednesday there was a wake and birthday potluck for a girl with a birthday and one with a recently deceased grandmother. We had a good time and no one was offended or hurt (that I'm aware of).
Thursday we travelled to Siena, this crazy little town in Tuscany that has some strange traditions and a history of building opulent churches and palaces. They also have a yearly horse race that pits the various districts of Siena against each other in competition for a year of civic pride. Last year the caterpillar district won. See photo for a view from the top of a big tower.
After returning from Siena, some of us met up with some of our Australian counterparts at the university here for a night of good cheer at some "tacky beer barn" -- it was a fun night.
Friday I stayed in bed most of the day... then went for a walk along the river and hung out at the street party for a bit.
Saturday I went on a wine-tasting trip to this little castle that makes wine. Beautiful views surrounded this old former Medici Family castle. We were taken through the depths of the cellar where all the wine is made and stored, given some wines and snacks and then marketed to -- I bought a bottle of red and a bottle of grappa.
Sunday was the Uffizi visit! What a place! Botticelli room was simply stunning. The rest was also good.
My Italian visit is now half-over. Strange to think I've been here for almost a month. Phew. Gotta go.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home